|things to do in denver
||[Aug. 30th, 2007|12:25 am]
|||||Heidi Berry - Love - Wake||]|
It's been nearly 10 year since I lived there, and some 6 years since I visited with any frequency, but here's a list that I sent to deliriumdreams's boss when he was going to make a multiple-day visit. Since I thought it might also be useful for recent arrival heisenfeature, here it is:
- Famous Pizza (multiple related-but-independent locations; I'd go to Broadway at Cedar and Park at Colfax). Rough and tumble; prefer fresh pies over slices.)
- Old Chicago's. Damn good pizza, and an amazing beer list. Hurt yourself by trying to get onto the "World Beer Tour" plaque....
- Beau Jo's Mountain Pies. Take a day to drive up US-6 to the original restaurant in Idaho Springs. See the majestic water wheel! :)
- Jerry's Record Exchange (312 East Colfax, very funky)
- Twist and Shout Records (at Logan and Alameda)
- Wax Trax
- Music on the Hill was a nice place up in Boulder, no idea if it's still there or not.
- Tattered Cover, the second-most-amazing bookstore I've ever been to (Powell's in Portland, Oregon, tops it, but still.) Two locations: North Cherry Creek, and Lower Downtown.
- The Boulder Bookstore is another nice independent bookstore (on the Pearl Street Mall)
- The Wizard's Chest is just a block north from the main Tattered Cover, and has great costumes, games, miniatures, and toys.
- Ocean Journey ... although it looks like they have changed name since I as there.
- Sakura Square (at 19th and Larimer, or nearly so). Some interesting Japanese ethnic stores, and a great festival every year. (Another Asian-rich region is at 6th and Federal, lots of supermarkets, etc.)
- Larimer Square. Mostly restaurants and galleries, it was still a nice place to hang out over lunch or whatnot. Neighbors "Writer's Square".
- Five Points. Where Downing, 30th, and Welton (sp?) all meet. Soul food!
- 13th and Washington: Wax Trax (see above) is there, along with a decent little goth-themed cybercafe [remember those?] a few blocks west.
- "Greek Town", on East Colfax between Columbine and St. Paul.
- Bonnie Brae; University at Exposition (with Bonnie Brae coming in at 45°). Ice cream parlour, also a pro-garlic restaurant.
- Downtown Old Golden (Foss Drug, Coors Brewery)
Additions and corrections welcome.